Each of us if you do not try, you probably saw in the store bags or jars with chicory - syrups, powders or granules, resembling in appearance instant coffee.This drink is replaced by a "bad" coffee and tea, many elderly people, and those who suffer from a number of chronic diseases such as heart disease, blood vessels, pancreas, intestines, etc.
Chicory soluble, being a product of plant origin, characterizedas the useful properties and contraindications, and just about the past, many people are somehow overlooked.Let us, who are useful chicory, how to use it and in what cases a tasty drink could be harmful to health.
Chicory Common, the second name is blue dandelion - is a herbaceous plant of the Asteraceae family.The historic birthplace of the plant - the Mediterranean, today chicory and distributed in the temperate zone.Despite the fact that the plant does not like high humidity, he was able to adapt and to tropical conditions.
favored place of growth - meadows, vacant lot
Culture actively cultivated for industrial purposes, it is removed by the entire field.Domesticated species of chicory - ordinary and salad: the first root is used to make the drink, salad leaves are used as a garnish or an additive to salads.
The plant has a long taproot.Stem rigid, vertical.The leaves have an oblong shape with a slightly narrowed or rounded end portion.The flowers are large, reed, from blue to pink color, are located at the individual stem.Fruit of the pentagon shape.
useful composition, caloric
syrup or thickened extract of roasted chicory root contains 263.8 calories per 100 g, and 64 g of carbohydrates, 1.95 grams of protein (fats are not found).
raw root contains 378 Cal to 100 grams, 56 grams of carbohydrates and 9.8 grams of protein.
100 grams of raw salad greens subspecies of the plant contains 23 kcal - 4.7 g carbohydrates, 0.3 g fat, 4.0 g fiber (fiber), 92 g of water.
Chicory root is rich in vitamins, macro and trace element composition, contains tannins, resins, phenols, organic acids, coumarin, pectin and inulin, the amount of which in the dried root is about 40%.
|Vitamins||macro- and microelements|
|A - 286 mcg||Potassium - 420 mg|
|K - 297.6 micrograms||Phosphorus - 47 mg|
|C - 24 mg||Calcium - 100 mg|
|B9 - 110 mcg||Sodium - 45 mg|
|E - 2.26 mg||Magnesium - 30 mg|
|B1 - 0.06 mg||Zinc - 0.42 mg|
|B5 - 1.16 mg||Manganese - 0.43 mg|
|B6 - 0.11 mg||Selenium - 0.3 mcg|
|B4 -12.8 mg||Copper - 0.3 mg|
|PP - 0, 5 mg||Iron - 0.9 mg|
|B2 - 0.1 mg|
Medicinal properties of chicory
most familiar option of use of chicory is its soluble form, which is brewed as a drink and drink slowly.If the manufacturer complied with the technology in good faith to produce a soluble chicory (as we'll discuss below), the drink will have the desired beneficial properties.
- Strengthening immunity .As part of the root has a prebiotic inulin, which stimulates the growth of intestinal probiotics naturally responsible for normal digestive system and prevent an imbalance of microflora.
- Antioxidant Activity .Phenolic resins are inherently substances that prevent the development of cancer.Resins cells actively removed from byproducts of cell oxygenation - free radicals.
- prevention of cardiovascular diseases, strengthen the heart muscle .Drinking a beverage helps reduce the level of low density lipoproteins, which are the number one risk factor for atherosclerosis and hypertension.Plant phenols as part of the root are antiarrhythmic agents.
- treatment of arthritis and myositis .Chicory is characterized by pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties and helps in inflammatory processes in the muscle tissue and joints.
- positive effect in the fight against excess weight .Oligofructose and inulin in chicory contained in a large amount to regulate the level of ghrelin - the hormone responsible for the feeling of hunger, which reduces the craving for food.Therefore, chicory is recommended for weight loss, in an integrated approach to solving the problem.
- choleretic effect .The plant removes stagnation of bile and helps dissolve small stones arranged in the gall bladder, so it is useful in the initial stages of cholelithiasis.
- Lowering blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes.This effect is possible due to the high content of inulin.
- Reducing anxiety and stress .Chicory, drunk on the night, has a sedative effect, relaxes the central nervous system and eliminate anxiety.This positive effect is a double effect: the elimination of anxiety helps to normalize hormonal levels, elimination of violations of cognitive function and prevents premature aging.
- Toning effect .Drink, drunk in the morning instead of coffee, gives vivacity and good mood, it helps get rid of headaches and migraines.
- eliminate edema .The plant has a pronounced diuretic and helps to remove excess fluid from the tissues in a natural way.
- eliminate constipation and bowel dysfunction .Mild laxative effect promotes natural bowel movement and stool softening.
- Antibacterial action on pathogenic flora , located in the mouth.Tannins act as antiseptic, therefore aid in treatment of inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity.
- Pregnancy .Many sources interpreted as a useful drink for women in the state.However, this vegetable drink that can cause allergies and other adverse effects, so you should not use it during pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding .Since the substance of the drink passes into breast milk, it is not necessary to take it during lactation.
- Idiosyncrasy plant or an allergy to a similar flora: marigolds, daisies, ragweed.
- Gallstone disease with large stones in the gall bladder.The plant has choleretic effect and can cause a discharge of stones from the gallbladder.
- gastritis and gastric ulcer .The drink has an irritating effect on the changed portions of the gastric mucosa.
- Varicose veins and other vascular diseases.
- Hemorrhoids .Drink worsens hemorrhoids and reduces the therapeutic effect of drugs against hemorrhoids.
- Serious diseases of the nervous system (schizophrenia, chronic nervosa, organic lesions).Drink affects the central nervous system excitability, therefore not recommended in these patients.
- Children under 3 years .
drink chicory - is a drug?
Chicory is not a drug, but refers to a phytotherapeutic agents.For example, in the pharmacy network, you can find a variety of herbal teas with chicory.In grocery stores chicory is sold in the form of powder, granules or syrup and relates to food, positioning itself as a health food and sold in health food departments.
norms of consumption of chicory
These recommendations are conditional.During the day, usually take 3-4 cups of the beverage shortly after a meal, if it is well tolerated.The amount of product that should be added to 1 cup, you need to look at the packaging.
Chicory can not pour boiling water, use warm water or milk.
manufacturing technology chicory
Each package manufacturers promise us that their product is natural, useful and keeps all the beneficial properties of fresh root.But is it really?
chicory in powder or granular form for the most part is produced by hot air drying at a temperature of 180-220 C and roasting and drying to give the drink the taste of coffee.It is clear that in this temperature range, the prevailing part of the nutrients destroyed and loses its properties.At the output we get the product, something similar to coffee in appearance and taste, but the beneficial properties of the product are very questionable.
new kind of chicory, positioned by manufacturers as a healthy food product with useful properties, preserved in its entirety - it is freeze-dried drink.When sublimation root is not exposed to high temperatures, and dehydrated and dried in a special way.
Another type of chicory - a syrup which is prepared by thickening the powder obtained by baking, with sugars.Use it again, a big question.
But, if stripped of skeptical assessment of soluble chicory, the benefits it is obvious for people who are contraindicated coffee and drink life without losing its color.However, it is provided that the use chicory authorized doctor (contraindications for the consumption of coffee and chicory partially overlap).