Hiccups from the physiological point of view, is a jerky contraction of the diaphragm, as a result of which there is a non-specific violation of external respiration.Subjectively, the person feels unpleasant and intense respiratory movements, which occur quite often.
What happens during the hiccups?This involuntary physiological reaction caused simultaneously appearing myoclonic contractions of the diaphragm and intercostal muscles.
By reducing muscle arises imitation fixed inspiration, but the sharp closing of the airways subesophageal cartilage (epiglottis) closes the air intake.At the same time, and the epiglottis closes the glottis - this causes a short muffled sound that can be heard during the hiccups.
Hiccups : as soon as the reduced diaphragm, the lungs is expelled from the air that passes through the larynx, the glottis shuts, and the epiglottis, and the published characteristic sound of "IR".
Why do people hiccup?
There are a number of sound reasons for hiccups in adults and children:
hiccups Hiccups may occur without cause (idiopathic).It takes no more than 10-15 minutes, it passes quickly and does not cause discomfort.Hiccups - is unconditioned reflex, which can not be called artificial.
often occurs in young girls on the background of anxiety and feelings of unrest, for example, before an exam, interview, public appearance.
Interesting fact: Since 1922 a certain Charles Osborne, a native of Iowa, began to hiccup while cutting pig.He is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the man who hiccupped continuously for 68 years.First Icahn rate was 40 p / minute, then became less of 20-25 p / minute.Charles led a normal life, hiccup attacks stopped in 1990, a year later, he died of stomach ulcers (aged 97 years).
hiccups due to irritation of the vagus nerve
This nerve passes from the chest cavity in the abdomen.On its way to the esophagus in the pair passes through the narrow opening in the diaphragm, and where can be clamped.This happens when:
- too fast food
- being in an uncomfortable position when the person
- hiccups after eating, most likely, it is overeaten or hurry, swallowing large pieces of poorly chewed food.
Pathological causes hiccups hiccups
But not always harmless.There is a long list of pathological factors which can provoke hiccups:
- CNS .If a person has hiccups all day, and the hiccup is exhausting, and it is a frequent phenomenon - it may indicate a possible encephalitis, stroke, head injury, brain tumor.
- Metabolic disorders such as uremic, diabetic and hepatic coma.
- intoxication muscle relaxants, barbiturates.Often one can observe a picture when a drunken man long ikaet- reason alcohol intoxication.
- Pathology spine - a herniated disc, poor circulation in the vertebrobasilar system, diseases of the spinal cord and cervical spine (tuberculosis, tumors).
- GI Pathology - subdiaphragmatic abscess, pancreatitis, diseases of the biliary system, reflux esophagitis, esophageal diverticulum, gastritis, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer.
- Oncologic pathology , such as Hodgkin's disease, sarcoidosis, tumors of the esophagus, cancer of the lungs, mediastinum, cancer of the stomach, pancreas, liver.
- Increasing intracranial pressure (cm. High intracranial pressure in a child)
Pathological hiccups never takes 5-10 minutes, people often hiccups, an attack can last for hours.She often repeated and long worried man.This causes that could provoke hiccups, it is difficult to determine (eating, hypothermia or other.).
why the child often hiccups in utero?
Not many people know that the baby hiccups in the womb, not yet born.This unconditioned reflex laid during fetal development.
Somewhere on the 7 month of pregnancy the expectant mother may feel the recurring rhythmic abdominal contractions, which last from a few minutes to half an hour, may occur several times a day or occur a couple of times a week.
This happens because of the contraction of the diaphragm, which is caused by the ingestion of a small amount of amniotic fluid.This kind of breathing exercises and training of the diaphragm.For the baby it is not dangerous, but on the contrary.
But if the expectant mother feels like reducing almost all the time, you should see a doctor, perhaps a child is experiencing fetal hypoxia.
Causes of hiccups in newborns
In children there is a hiccup at least less frequently than in adults.But in children causes hiccups usually innocuous and harmless, so if this happens, do not panic and try to help the kid - hiccups gives crumbs same discomfort as an adult.If a child is constantly hiccups - it is an occasion seem pediatrician!
Often baby hiccups due to the banal overeating or active sucking air ingestion.The solution is obvious: you can not overfeed the baby.If he is drinking from the bottle, it must be so constructed that air does not enter the stomach sucking.When breastfeeding is important to correctly apply the crumbs and beat out a rational position for feeding.Several minutes after the upright to help food regurgitate air and excess food.
More often hiccup newborns at overcooling.In this case, you need to warm it up and feed the baby can Popo warm waters.
anxiety in the child
Funk can cause hiccups in children, in which case the hiccup occurs in response to some event, to disturb the crumbs (medical ward, injection, loud sound).It is necessary to distract the child, revile him on the handles to hiccup over.
reasons associated with the intake of food
Causes Hiccups in older children are similar to those in adults - the food on quickly, eat cold food, conversations during meals often leads to it.
How to get rid of hiccups?
How to help kids, we're told.Older children and adults can do something for their next:
- a deep breath and hold your breath for a few seconds, then exhale
- Exhale and make 10 small sips of cold water
- eat a slice of lemon
- straighten, stretch
- drink warm tea
- call someone on the phone, go to the store - that is,distract