Teeth grinding, otherwise known as bruxism - is unpleasant for the patient and for the doctor troublesome syndrome.Most often this phenomenon affects people with labile nervous system.From one to three percent of the world population (both adult and pediatric) are subject to this condition.
most common variant of bruxism night, but daytime gnashing of teeth is also common.Today, it is understood the main group of diseases and pathological conditions that lead to teeth grinding.
Why man grinding his teeth in his sleep?At the heart of bruxism is an involuntary spasm of the masticatory muscles, the closing of the jaws and their jerky uncontrolled movements in the anteroposterior and lateral directions.In this case the teeth engage with each other and the chewing surfaces of the moving friction, creating a rattle.In addition, violations may occur, or stop breathing during the night dreams (apnea), slow pulse, drop in blood pressure.Grinding is continued from several seconds to minutes.
Adult grits his teeth for the following reasons
inflammation of the temporomandibular joints
Sooner or later it leads to violations of joint function.This disorder can hear a click when the wide mouth opening (when yawning or biting large chunks).Chronic inflammation in the Flowing temporomandibular joint causes increased nerve impulses, stimulating sudden lockjaw.Reducing, muscle driven lower jaw, which reproduces and gnashing of teeth.There is a vicious circle: the muscle spasm is triggered by inflammation, and this inflammation himself supports, disrupting the normal ratio of articular surfaces.
presence of chronic neurotic state, exhaustion of the nervous system against the background of long-term mental or physical stress.Most often in the nervous system occurs daily bruxism.Since one of the functions of sleep - is to get rid of the nervous system from unnecessary information and its processing, the dream people often continue to experience daily problems and not being able to fully relax, grinding his teeth.
- Night bruxism coincides with the phase of REM sleep and episodes of restless sleep: involuntary muscle twitches, active movements of the eyeball.
- often creaking teeth combined with snoring, talking in his sleep, sleepwalking and even enuresis.
- These patients often have a bad habit during the day, especially in times of mental stress, chew on items (pencils, pens, matches, toothpicks) or nails.
most familiar household poisons, toxic central nervous system - is alcohol, nicotine and nitropaint.
pathology and anomaly of dentition and jaws:
- presence of ill-fitting fixed prosthesis
- inflammation in the area of implants can cause lockjaw and bruxism
- common example lockjaw (ie long-term diseasespastic contraction) of the masticatory muscles can become labored teething eighth teeth.
Symptoms of bruxism
If the daily version of the disease the patient may notice something about the night gritting his teeth to it, as a rule, according to relatives and friends who are afraid of sounds or forced not to sleep at night.
Characteristic symptoms of bruxism is:
- creaking or grinding of teeth.
- pain in the muscles of the face and the temporo-mandibular joints, especially in the morning.
- Chronic inflammation of the temporomandibular joints with limitation of the scope of the mandible movements.
- enamel Increased sensitivity to cold, sweet, hot due to its gradual elimination, and shedding.
- Traumatic chipped or broken teeth, loosening them.
- Anomalies of occlusion, formed as a result of erasure of dentition and their deformation.
- depth of sleep at night lead to a permanent nevysypaniyu and chronic fatigue syndrome, daytime sleepiness, and headaches.
What else unpleasant bruxism
- addition to objective physical changes in the state of osteoarticular apparatus, muscles and teeth no small problem is the discomfort of the patient's close surroundings and gradual neuroticism of creaking teeth, gritting his teeth if the fact becomes known to him.
- Bruxism may be a contraindication to install crowns.Tabs and implantation of implants, because even the softest crowns necessarily the friction will wash and chop the tooth antagonist in the opposite jaw.
theory about the influence of parasitic infestations
Quite often the people are of the opinion that the grinding of the teeth during sleep, especially in children, is directly related to worm infestation (see. Worms symptoms in children and roundworm in humans, pinworms in children).It justified this popular treatment gnashing of teeth using garlic is used in various kinds and quantities (see. For worms tablets).
In fact, the direct relationship between parasitism in the body of worms and no bruxism.It may grind their teeth adult or child who has worms not, and never has been.Not more or less scientific explanation of the fact that people are also suffering from helminth grind their teeth during sleep, reduced to two points.
- First , any worm infestation can lead to the patient's neuroticism (cm. Test for the presence of worms in humans).
- Second , vitamin B12 deficiency, the synthesis of which is reduced in many intestinal helminths (eg, broad tapeworm infection) impairs neuromuscular transmission, which can be a precursor to a malfunction of the masticatory muscles and temporomandibular joints.
- Third , the same B12 deficiency anemia impairs the transport of oxygen to the brain, which can affect the change in the depth of sleep and lead to a variety of involuntary muscle contraction on the type of partial seizures, including lockjaw chewing muscles.
Why does a child in a dream grits her teeth
According to different sources, teeth grinding occurs in 15-50% of the child population.
The reasons most often lie in the plane of neurological problems, frequent fatigue or asthenia, and abnormalities in the structure of the facial skeleton, jaws and bite pathology.
- Sometimes srip teeth occurs after prolonged infectious disease or after weaning the baby from the nipple to which he was very accustomed.
- not deny the influence of heredity.Approximately 80% of children suffering from night creaking the same problems at different ages had suffered at least one of the parents.
- adenoids in children
Up to 80% of children suffering from adenoids, and are associated bruxism.It is also associated with a decrease in the depth of sleep and impaired nasal breathing, which in different periods of the day stimulates the right, the left hemisphere of the brain.
- Skip teeth and epilepsy
interesting study sought a relationship between bruxism and epilepsy.According to the EEG in children with bruxism shortened phase of sleep, teeth grinding episodes tend to occur at the junction of the first and second slow phase of REM sleep.There is a direct link with dental squeak sleepwalking.speaking in his sleep and loss of consciousness in the past.No direct connection of bruxism and seizures in epilepsy program.Most suffer from bruxism hypermobility children who started early to sit, stand, walk, and the children began to speak before their peers.
If a child suffers from short (up to 10 seconds) and occasional bouts of gnashing of teeth over less than two months, usually limited to ordering his daily routine, put to bed earlier, added naps and reduce training time and stay at the computer.Often such episodes are on their own and without any treatment.
If attacks are frequent and prolonged, combined with other manifestations of sleep disturbance depth (enuresis), the child necessarily indicate a neurologist (EEG performed and fundus examination ophthalmologist, appointed a number of vegetable sedatives).dentist consultation is also shown to diagnose and correct orthodontic problems.The most frequent bruxism in children is adjusted silicone tires with air dampers, since the age of three to five years.
- Limit stressors.
- sufficient time to carry out in the fresh air to avoid oxygen starvation of the brain.
- not drink the night of exciting the nervous system of drinks (strong tea, coffee, energy, alcohol, sodas).
- Herbal sedatives.
- Dry heat in the area of masticatory muscles before bedtime.
- Silicone caps
They prevent erase teeth, make them in the dental laboratory in the direction of a dentist.Capa installed in the oral cavity before sleeping.It not only does not allow the teeth in contact with each other at the creak and wear off, but also forms a correct bite.You can buy and standard tray and fit it to your bite.This orthodontic device consists of two parts, each of which is provided with a handle-lobe.Both parts are lowered into a container with boiling water for 8-10 seconds to give the silicone plasticity, then shake off the drops and inserted in the mouth.Then it is necessary to force to compress the jaw Chetri three times, leaving Kappa clear imprint of teeth.Then cut off the handle.And getting ready burl is tight enough to stay in the mouth, not allowing to erase gnashing teeth.
- In daytime bruxism by dentists using various modifications of tires that are imperceptible in the mouth and well prevent full closure of the dentition and enamel abrasion.
- In the most severe cases, the doctor may prescribe muscle relaxants or receive course of antidepressants.
Thus, bruxism today refers to the phenomenon from different areas of medicine.Therefore, prolonged episodes gnashing of teeth in adults.and especially children should be tested at least two specialists: a neurologist and a dentist.