Healthy smile, no bad breath - is the calling card of every person and indispensable element of communication with others.Individual everyday oral hygiene and regular visits to the dentist can help prevent tooth decay and other unpleasant diseases of the teeth and gums.Healthy teeth are also responsible for the health of the internal organs, so taking care of them, it follows from the first milk tooth in children.
Why is it important to maintain the health of teeth?
patients teeth and gums - a chronic source of infection and bacteria.Carious primary teeth of children are infected with germs of permanent teeth and create a risk of life-long problems with the oral cavity in adult life.But oral problems are not limited.Important
digestion step, namely the initial size reduction of food and chemical processing to occur in the oral cavity, which determines the health of the usefulness of their functions.Not enough shredded food is digested poorly and overload the digestive tract, which further threat
cavities and diseased gums constantly "supply" the body by bacteria that enter the body through the digestive tract and weaken the immune system.It is therefore important to know how to properly brush their teeth for children and some toothpaste and a toothbrush to make it better.
When to start and how to control?
Baby teeth - it's full of education required for the mechanical grinding of food, ie,They need the same care and treatment as needed, as well as permanent teeth.The first baby teeth appear to 1 year, usually in 5-8 months (see. Teething in infants).But before that happy moment parents should be oral care.
the gums kid before the eruption of the incisors form dental plaque, consisting of mucus, food debris and bacteria.These formations are considered the main cause of tooth decay, so they should be regularly scrubbed with a special silicone napalechnika with bristles.
- penetrate teeth cleaned 2 times a day, using a special children's toothbrush and toothpaste
- Until 5-6 years recommended by the parents of children to brush his teeth
- After 6 years of age - a child cleans himself, the parents control the process and cleaning efficiency.
Even with the negative attitude of the child should be accustomed to his hygiene skills to infancy in the mind originated the concept of procedure as a necessary and important, is the same as hand-washing, etc.Do not use violence, but we need to be persistent.
- From 0 to first tooth.During this period, replace the brush may be special disposable cloth or sterile bandage, wound on a finger.More tech device - a silicone brush napalechnik with soft silicone bristles are not able to injure the delicate mucous membrane of the mouth.
- first teeth. To cleanse the teeth of the first-fit massager brush with rubber bristles, longer than the brush-napalechnika, or the first brush with synthetic bristles, which are marked accordingly, to authorize the use in children under 1 year.
- 12-24 month.Special brushes for children from one year and up to two years, a small differ in length of the cleaning head and a comfortable handle.In this period there is strong growth in the dentition, so the brush will have to change more than once.
- From 2 years .The brushes have a slightly larger size of the cleaning head and a thick and stiff bristles.
- From 3 and older .In the three-year baby, as a rule, there is a whole range of milk, so the brush should have a longer bristles and head to effectively clean the surface of the teeth and gums.
highly popular with children earned electric toothbrushes, cleaning efficiency is estimated as high.This gadget motivates the child to perform hygiene procedures without reminders.When used properly, they are completely safe, but since it is an electrical mechanism, the child must understand that this is not a toy, and the subject of hygiene.They are recommended to use no earlier than 5-6 years of age (see. Also how to choose toothpaste for adults and how to care for braces and dentures).
Features selection and operation of the toothbrush child
- buying a toothbrush for children up to 5-6 years, in addition to quality, should pay attention to the convenience of the brush to hold her hand a parent, not a child!This mom or dad will fully carry out cleaning of the dentition, and for a child can buy a training option for testing the correct cleaning motions;
- color and beautiful shape in the form of small animals, of course, well, attractive and important for the child.But first you need to choose the bristles and brush head: plastic part should be smooth and without any nicks, and stubble - soft and smooth, the host original shape when compressed;
- Change the brush should be not less than 1 time in 2 months, even if the manufacturer says another;
- Keep the brush should be an open process, in a completely dried state;
- Popular manufacturers of brushes for children - Jordan, Oral-B, Splat, Lacalut, Colgate Pigeon.These brands value their reputation, so producing quality products.
Toothpaste should be chosen according to age.Almost all of the paste to 3 years is safe if swallowed, as is usually the manufacturer says on the package.But is it really?Of course, toothpaste includes chemicals that are not exactly benefit body.
- Up to 12 months the feasibility of using toothpaste is disputed.The child has not exactly know how to spit, and plaque from teeth and gums cleaned off well moistened toothbrush.
- After a year of toothpaste helps to clean your mouth more effectively.
By choosing the paste should be treated very seriously, and ideally - to acquire the paste after consultation with a pediatric dentist.Choose the right toothpaste - is to visit the doctor with your child.Assign therapeutic and prophylactic toothpastes can only dentist.
Features selection of children's toothpaste:
- Do not buy large tubes - after depressurization paste is exposed to microbial attack;
- should pay attention to the composition, and not on the performance of the external packaging, as well as an age limit;
- children who are prone to allergies, it is worth buying the neutral paste without artificial colors, preservatives and thickeners;
- Switch to adult paste can be 15 years old when the period ended mineralization of the enamel;
- Popular manufacturers of toothpastes for children: Splat, Silca, new pearls, President, ROCS.
|Desirable component||Undesirable the paste|
fundamentally wrong is the desire of many parents to buy toothpaste containing fluoride, and useit as soon as possible, ostensibly to protect teeth from decay.It is believed that a child who is breastfed or receiving adequate nutrition, getting enough fluoride from food, but the mineral excess can ruin your teeth or significantly spoil their view, laying in the form of ugly stripes on the enamel and cause intoxication at constant swallowed.Up to 4 years old can use toothpaste without fluoride.
| Fluoride absent or: ||Fluoride more than 200-500 ppm|
Abrasive substances are needed for cleaning the tooth surface from plaque.calcium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate, have a high degree of abrasiveness and can damage fragile enamel.
|silicon dioxide, titanium dioxide||calcium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate|
Foaming is not required for children's toothpastes, rather the opposite - less foam paste, the smaller the risk of swallowing.Sodium lauryl sulfate - component having toxicity, which can cause allergic reactions and dry mucous membranes.
|silicon oxides||Sodium Lauryl Sulfate|
thickener is needed to make a paste the consistency required.The paste is mixed with saliva and becomes liquid, so the initial state must be thick.
|plant resins, algae and trees||derivatives of acrylic acid|
These substances with antimicrobial activity are contained only in medical toothpastes that are prescribed by the doctor.As a preventive means they should not be.
|chamomile, sage||metronidazole, triclosan, chlorhexidine|
flavor and aroma
These components are designed to improve the organoleptic properties of the paste, so as not to cause a child's aversion to the taste of money, but children under 6 years of age do not really like mint, tang, preferably fruit flavors.However, their contents should be mild to the toothpaste does not turn into "food."Best of all, when the vehicle has a neutral flavor and a light pleasant fragrance.
|Menthol, eucalyptus, mint||Fruit additives|
Preservatives determine the validity term means: the higher it is, the more chemistry in the paste.These preservatives in column 2 are carcinogenic.
|sorbic acid, salicylic acid (only for children older than 3 years)||sodium benzoate, propylene glycol, propylparaben|
cleaning technique - how to brushing
- Procedure duration: 2-3 minutes.Some brushes have audible and visual indicator of time, but they are suitable for children over 6 years;
- number of cleaning paste to 1: 3 years - a pea, after 3 years - with a grain of beans;
- should clean the inner, outer and chewing surfaces of the teeth;
- outer and inner tooth surfaces are cleaned sweeping movements of the toothbrush from the gums (this is important) and to the edge of the tooth.The upper jaw motion produce a top-down and the bottom, respectively, - the bottom-up;
- chewing surface is cleaned by horizontal movements;
- Desna massaged and simultaneously cleared rotary movements;
- Language carefully cleaned with a soft sweeping movements with a special brush for the language or sterile bandage, wound on a finger.Do not strongly press on the language to not provoke vomiting (see. How and why children clean the language).
What if the child refuses / does not like to brush your teeth?
First, lead by example.Children - known imitators, seeing as parents brush their teeth, want to repeat the same thing.This should certainly take advantage of!
You can use a brush with sound and light display, set the timer to the kid, see themed cartoons.It is important that the procedure does not cause negative, otherwise the child will be brushing teeth, as long as the parents left behind, and not for the purpose of thorough hygiene.
Children who have already visited the dentist and have treated teeth, be sure to treat oral health seriously.But it is better not to bring - Teach your children to the fact that dental health should be protected!