body temperature drop below the average quite often.This can occur for various reasons, in people of all ages and have different effects.
dangerous to low temperatures?
accepted that the normal value on the thermometer - it is 36.6 ° C.Actually readings can vary during a day, depending on meals and even menstrual mood.Therefore, the temperature of 35, 5 to 37, 0 is considered an absolute norm for each individual.
True hypothermia, dangerous to health, and sometimes for life, begins at a temperature below 35 ° C.If the numbers on the thermometer are between 35 and 36.6 degrees Celsius, it is likely that human health is not threatened.
How the body maintains a temperature?
Thermoregulation - a complex process, exciting the brain, nerve pathways, hormonal system and even fat.The main purpose of the mechanism - to maintain a constant temperature of the "core", ie the human internal environment.Violation of any of the links can cause a failure and all termoproduktsii termootdachi system.
How to properly measure the temperature?
- armpits - the most common method in our country, the temperature measurement.It's simple, but it is quite inaccurate.Thus, the rate in this method ranges from 35 to 37 ° C, 0 ° C.In children up to a year low-grade fever is considered the norm.
- thermometer in the mouth - the norm for Europe and the United States, but rare in Russia.In children, it can also be ineffective, since they are often open their mouths in the measurement, which is not recommended.
- rectal (in the rectum) is very accurate, but is more commonly used in children.Newborns measure the temperature rectally not recommended (to avoid damage to the intestines).The average temperature in the rectum to half a degree above the armpit.
- thermometer in ear popular in some countries, but gives very large errors.
Mercury thermometer - to properly measure the temperature in the axillary mercury thermometer should be kept at least 5 minutes.
Electronic thermometer hold until a beep sounds, check the temperature.Then, hold a minute - if the temperature has not changed, the thermometry finish.If even increased - continue to hold for 2-3 minutes.
main rule : no need to measure the temperature of a healthy person!This leads to an increase in anxiety for no reason.If you feel like spending thermometry every day, then it looks like a symptom of depression or anxiety.In this case, you need to consult a therapist.
A significant number of people across the world average body temperature differs from the standard norms.Some whole life watching the thermometer at 37 ° C, and someone values often fall below 36 ° C.Therefore, hypothermia is a sign of ill health only if there are other symptoms.Among the reasons for the low body temperature may be:
- a viral or bacterial infection
- anemia or latent iron deficiency
- hormonal disruptions - hypothyroidism, pituitary disease, hypothalamic
- external influences (frost, long stay in the water)
- starvation,craze diets
- psoriasis and other extensive skin lesions
- iatrogeny (medical acts, drug overdose)
- use of alcohol and drugs (barbiturates)
- septicemia (blood poisoning)
a viral or bacterial infection
Any infectious disease,even very light, forcing the body to mobilize the body's defenses.After an illness recovery occurs gradually.Fever is replaced by low grade (see. Causes low grade temperature of 37.2 -37,5S), and then the temperature is lowered.This is followed by general weakness, a person feels not fully recovered.Such a state will burn last two or three weeks after the illness.
Anemia Reduced temperature, accompanied by weakness, dizziness and some other symptoms that may indicate a lack of iron in the body.To identify this pathology helps blood test for hemoglobin and ferritin determination.The main signs of anemia and latent deficiency include:
- thinning hair
- striated and brittle nails
- predilection for raw meat and other unusual tastes
- language Inflammation
- weakness and decreased performance
- Pale skin
- Coldness of hands and feet
Following the appointment of iron-containing preparations (Ferretab, Sorbifer and others see. iron supplements for anemia) within 2-3 months usually disappear the above symptoms, including sensitivity to cold and reduced temperature.
human endocrine system affects absolutely all processes, including on thermoregulation.Thus, tumors and brain injuries can cause disruption of the hypothalamus work, which in turn is responsible for the temperature of the "core", ie a constant internal temperature of the person.Such conditions always clearly manifest themselves disorders of consciousness, speech, vision or hearing, problems with coordination, headache and vomiting.Fortunately, serious brain disease are rare.Much more often the cause of poor performance thermometer is hypothyroidism.
Hypothyroidism - a lack of the thyroid gland, its hormone deficiency.There is a malfunction in autoimmune inflammation of the prostate, surgery on it or treatment with radioactive iodine.The disease is very common (according to some sources at 1-10% of the population) and manifests a variety of symptoms:
- weakness, decreased performance
- Weight gain, edema
- chilliness, low temperature
- Dry skin, itching
- brittle hair andnail
- sleepiness, loss of memory and general confusion
- Chronic constipation
- bradycardia (slow heart rate)
To diagnose hypothyroidism is necessary to check the level of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).If it is higher than normal, then the chances of the disease.This is especially true for women over 40, whose relatives have thyroid problems.After the diagnosis the doctor prescribes a replacement therapy (Eutiroks), which allows you to return to a normal state of health, and to get rid of the symptoms.
man - warm-blooded creature, maintains a constant temperature inside the body.But the temperature of the skin (in the armpit, for example) is often reduced by the cold, swimming in the water and you are in a cool place.In such cases, warm enough to dress and re-measure the temperature: performance pretty quickly come back to normal after rewarming.
hypothermia Hypothermia is associated with the action doctors usually occurs in patients undergoing surgery.If after a long surgery leaving the patient without a blanket, the risk of hypothermia is high.Anesthesia suppresses shivering, which prevents temperature decrease.Therefore, attention to postoperative patients is crucial.
Overdose antipyretic drugs - quite often, especially in children, the temperature drops sharply after antipyretic drugs overdose.Concerned parents at the sight of numbers above 38 on the thermometer are beginning to "bring down the temperature."The consequences of such actions can not only be a violation of thermoregulation, but also severe gastric ulcers and bleeding.Therefore, in no case should not be abused antipyretics.
Overdose vasoconstrictor drops - another reason to lower the body temperature of the baby.In connection with the general effect on all vessels such drugs can lead to hypothermia.Therefore, the common cold, with no complications, it is better to wash the children's spout banal saline solution sold in any drugstore.
In protracted rigid diets or starvation forced a person loses a large amount of fat reserves.A fat depot together with glycogen are responsible for the balance of heat production and heat.As a result, thin, and particularly depleted, people often freeze for no apparent reason.
skin disease that affects a large area of it, often leads to a decrease in temperature.Such effects have psoriasis, severe eczema, burn disease.To the affected area of the skin are constantly replenished by a large amount of blood, which reduces the temperature of the human as a whole.
active multiplication of bacteria in the blood and the poisoning of the body products of their vital functions is called sepsis.As with any bacterial infection, septic complications often observed temperature rise, and to very high numbers.But in some cases (in frail and elderly) occurs damage to the nervous system, including thermoregulatory center.
In this paradoxical situation the human body responds to the invasion of bacteria sharp drop in temperature to 34.5 ° C and below.Hypothermia in sepsis - a rather unfavorable sign.It is combined with severe general condition, depression of consciousness, disturbance of function of all organs.
poisoning with ethanol and drugs
Drinking alcohol in large quantities, and some psychoactive substances can cause low body temperature.This is due to vasodilatation, and tremor suppression effect on glucose levels.Considering that after taking large doses of ethanol, many people sleep on the streets, in emergency departments, such patients - are not uncommon.Sometimes lowering the temperature becomes critical and leads to heart failure and breathing.
How to raise the temperature?
First of all, you need to understand is whether the reduction in the temperature of the norm or a deviation from it.
- If you accidentally, just measure the temperature of the body and found its decline, without experiencing any other symptoms, take it easy.Remember, if you have recently suffered from cold or other infection.Perhaps this residual effects.
- Or perhaps the reason is the active ventilation of the apartment on a frosty day.In this case, you need to close the windows, warmly dressed and drink hot tea.
- If these factors are excluded, it is likely these numbers on a thermometer - your individual characteristics.
- If in addition to hypothermia you experience weakness, depression, find a host of other symptoms - it is better to consult a doctor.
likely after additional analyzes will be found anemia or decreased thyroid function.Assigning appropriate treatment will help to raise the temperature.Children need the abolition of antipyretic and vasoconstrictor.
When needed urgent help a doctor?
mandatory appeal to a specialist is necessary in cases where:
- man unconscious
- body temperature - 35 ° C and continues to decline.
- low body temperature in elderly person, coupled with poor health
- presence of such severe symptoms as bleeding, hallucinations, uncontrollable vomiting, impaired speech and vision, severe jaundice.
Remember that true hypothermia, life-threatening, occurs in severely ill or supercooled people.A slight decrease in temperature will not harm health.Moreover, all metabolic processes are slower at low temperatures.Therefore, many experts believe that people with such a feature live longer.